2017 Pragmatic Organized Dynamic Display (PODD) Workshops
One-Day Workshop ($50)
This one-day workshop will familiarize staff & family members with PODD language features & available delivery options (printable communication books and electronic file page sets). This training will introduce participants to the very preliminary steps of introducing PODD books to a student in creating a language learning environment. Come learn strategies for creating multimodal language learning environments that provide receptive models and expressive opportunities for language development. Learn strategies for teaching and using PODD with children, adults and their communication partners. Videos and case examples will be shared. Participants will have an opportunity for hands-on practice with PODD Communication books.
Presented by Kelly Fonner, MS, Assistive/Educational Technology Consultant, Certified PODD Presenter
Outcomes: As a result of attending this training:
- Participants will be able to list 5 major features of the currently available PODD communication books and electronic files.
- Participants will feel at ease using a PODD communication book to a student.
- Participants will be able to recognize when an alternative access method PODD book is needed that is beyond the currently available set of printable PODD books or electronically available PODD page sets.
When: Thursday, April 13th at 8:00am-4:30pm
Where: Gompers 6601 N. 27th Ave Phoenix, AZ 85017
Two-Day Workshop ($200)
This two-day course will demonstrate the use of a Pragmatic Organization of Dynamic Display (PODD) approach developed by Gayle Porter (Melbourne, Australia). Participants will learn strategies for creating multi-modal language learning environments that provide receptive models and expressive opportunities for language development. Learn strategies for teaching and using PODD with individuals and their communication partners. A wide variety of student case examples will be shared through videos.
As a result of attending this training, participants will be able to:
- Describe the challenges faced by professionals creating communication systems in terms of vocabulary organization, layout, design, range of access strategies and customizing for individual requirements.
- Discuss the importance of receptive language input and creating a language-learning environment.
- Discuss the features of a PODD communication system in terms of vocabulary organization, layout, design, range of access strategies and customizing for individual requirements.
- Discuss the teaching and learning strategies for implementing PODD communication systems with students and team members.
When: Friday, April 14 – Saturday, April 15th at 8:00am-4:30pm
Where: Mohave District Annex, 8500 East Jackrabbit Road, Scottsdale, AZ 85250, in Training Room B. Located off the 101 at McDonald.
(Space is limited)