Promoting fiscal and social responsibility toward those we serve, our staff and the community
Gompers first opened its doors in 1947 as the Maricopa County Crippled Children’s Society, serving 79 children.
In 1951, our name was changed to the Arizona Easter Seals Society for Crippled Children, which led to the desire to stop renting space and finally put down roots in a home of our own.
10,000 members of the American Federation of Labor (AFL) each donated one hour of pay to construct a facility on 7th Street in Phoenix. The facility and operations were turned over to a nonprofit Board of Directors. In return, the AFL asked the legacy of Samuel Gompers be honored and so it was that we became Gompers.
Today, Gompers is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization led by an all-volunteer Board of Directors and President & CEO, Mark Jacoby. Our programs have expanded to include three campuses, one in Phoenix on 27th Avenue which houses Gompers Private School (GPS) and our Day Training for Adults program, the second campus in Glendale on Bethany Home Road, that hosts our employment training and placement program, and our newest campus, The Blythe Campus in Peoria that houses our newest Day Training for Adults and In-Home Services programs!